Date: 23rd September 2006 at 5:00pm
Written by:

An amazing game at London Road saw Hartlepool United race into a four goal lead before being pegged back by three quick fire Peterborough replies, thankfully Pools regained their composure and a fifth goal from Matty Robson saw all three points safely in the Hartlepool United sky rocket.

Hartlepool United boss Danny Wilson stuck with the side which lost on penalties to Hull City on Tuesday night for today’s away game with Peterborough United. There was however changes on the subs bench, James Brown and Lee Bullock lost their places with Willie Boland and Eifion Williams earning recalls.

Joel Porter looked to be clear on 8 minutes but the referee’s assistant raised his flag for offside, a very tight decision. On 15 minutes Dimitrious Konstantopoulos dived full length to turn away an effort from Posh striker Danny Crow. 6 minutes later and Posh had another good chance as Crow nipped in between Michael Nelson and Darren Williams, thankfully for Pools his header was off target.

On 28 minutes Peterborough had the best chance of the game so far, Davis skipped past Darren Williams, his ball into Trevor Benjamin saw the big striker put off a little by Michael Nelson and the chance then became harder, Konstantopoulos collected the big strikers effort.

Pools took the lead on the half hour mark, a foul by Jude Stirling on Jon Daly saw Pools awarded a free kick. Gary Liddle put the ball in the back of the net via the Peterborough post from fully 25 yards out, a great free kick from Liddle.

Straight from the kick off Joel Porter caused havoc in the home area and referee Phil Crossley pointed to the spot for a handball by Mark Arber, Porter had skinned the home defender and it was a stone wall penalty. With Matty Robson and Joel Porter discussing who should take the kick big Jon Daly took the ball and placed it on the spot, Daly drove the ball into the bottom corner of the net past Mark Tyler. An astonishing two minutes for Pools, goals change games and finally Danny Wilson’s side had found the back of the net, not once but twice.

On 42 minutes Konstantopoulos punched clear a Peterborough corner, the ball came back into the area but the danger was quickly quashed. Matty Robson tried his luck from distance a minute later, his effort just dipped over the Posh cross bar. Michael Nelson became the first name in referee Crossley’s notebook on the stroke of half time.

In first half injury time Pools went an amazing 3-0 up, a brilliant attacking move saw Gary Liddle play the ball into Joel Porter, Pools Aussie striker back heeled the ball into the path of Jon Daly who lashed it into the back of the Peterborough net, brilliant football from Pools. Just two minutes after Pools third goal the referee blew for half time with the home fans booing their side off the pitch. An excellent 45 minutes for Pools, finally the lads managed to convert chances into goals.

Half Time: Peterborough United 0 Hartlepool United 3

The second half started with a change in the Peterborough line up, Jamie Day came on for Liam Davis. Four minutes into the half and the home side were awarded a penalty kick. Referee Crossley blew for a foul on Trevor Benjamin, the striker placed the ball on the spot and blazed it over the cross bar.

8 minutes into the second half and Garry Liddle made it 4-0 to Pools, Joel Porter once again caused the homeside massive problems, Porter placed a great ball through for Garry Liddle who raced into the box and drove it past Mark Tyler. On 59 minutes the home side pulled a goal back, there was a suspension of offside but the flag stayed down and Richard Butler reduced the deficit.

Posh gave themselves a chance as they scored a second goal just a couple of minutes after Butler’s effort. Peter Gain saw the Pools defence back off so he drove a shot past Konstantopoulos to bring the home side back into the game.

Danny Wilson made his first change of the game on 64 minutes as Joel Porter made way for David Foley. With Pools losing the midfield battle Wilson made a second change as Willie Boland replaced Alistar Gibb.

Posh had the ball in the back of the net again on 66 mintues, however the referee’s assistant had his flag raised for offside, no goal. The Posh did reduce the gap to just a single goal 90 seconds later, again the Pools defence backed off and this time Dean Holden drove an upstoppable shot into the back of Konstantopoulos net, a stunning strike and now Pools were well and truly under the cosh.

In the 82nd minute it looked as though David Foley had killed the game off as he converted a cross from Matty Robson, but the referee’s assistant had his flag up and ruled the goal out for offside. However it was only a matter of seconds until Pools did kill the game off, David Foley ran the ball into the corner but then turned his marker inside out, his ball into Jon Daly saw the big striker feed Matty Robson who converted for his first goal of the season.

With the crowd now flat and Pools finally looking comfortable Danny Wilson made his third and final change, Tony Sweeney made way for Michael Barron. In the final minute of normal time the fourth official signaled for five minutes of injury time.

Just liked Tuesday night at Hull young substitute David Foley was a pain in the side of the home team with his darting runs and lightening quick pace, however his effort didn’t bring him a goal despite a couple of good chances. After 52 minutes of second half action the referee blew for full time.

Full Time: Peterborough United 3 Hartlepool United 5

An amazing game of football, Pools blasted their way into what looked like an untouchable lead, Peterborough though missed a penalty and then grabbed three goals back, thankfully the lads managed to compose themselves and a fifth goal from Matty Robson wrapped up all three points, I need to sit down!

Peterborough United:
M Tyler, J Stirling (45 J Day), M Arber, B Turner, A Newton, P Gain, R Butcher, D Holden, L Davis, D Crow, T Benjamin,

Substitutes not used:
G Branston, J Richards, S Huke, J Ghaichem

Hartlepool United:
D Konstantopoulos, D Williams, M Nelson, B Clark, J Brackstone, A Gibb (67 W Boland), A Sweeney (88 M Barron), G Liddle, M Robson, J Porter (64 D Foley), J Daly

Substitutes not used:
E Williams, J Provett

Referee:P Crossley
Attendance: 3916 (376 Pools fans)


One Reply to “Report: Posh 3 Pools 5”

Comments are closed.