Date: 19th September 2006 at 10:22pm
Written by:

Hartlepool United boss Danny Wilson made two changes for tonights League Cup tie away to Hull City at the KC Stadium. Back into the starting line up came John Brackstone after serving a three game suspension and striker Joel Porter. Gary Liddle moved into the centre of midfield with Willie Boland dropping out of the 16 man squad altogether, Brackstone took Liddle’s left back slot. Joel Porter lined up alongside Jon Daly with James Brown dropping down to the substitute bench.

With just two minutes on the clock Joel Porter crossed for Jon Daly who poked the ball just wide of the City goal. Anthony Sweeney drove a shot wide 60 seconds later and Pools started the game brightly.

Craig Fagan picked out Nick Barmby on 5 minutes but Konstantopoulos did well to save Barmby’s effort. On 10 minutes Dean Marney tried his luck from distance but his 30 yard effort went wide of the Pools goal.

Pools had a good chance on 13 minutes when Ben Clark saw a shot from distance saved, Tony Sweeney followed up but his effort his shot was to weak to trouble Myhill. Nick Barmby headed a corner wide of the Pools goal on 26 mintues as the game settled down nicely with Pools looking comfortable against their Championship opponents.

John Brackstone did well to clear his lines on 36 minutes under pressure from a City player. The resulting right wing corner ended a free kick for Hull after the linesman flagged for a foul, the set piece was too long and went behind for a Pools goalkick. Ryan France almost gave Hull the lead on 41 minutes after a neat one two, but his shot flew inches wide of the Pools goal.

Matty Robson then had a change after a good Pools move, but his shot was saved by Myhill. A couple of minutes later and Pool were awarded a free kick after a foul on Matty Robson. Gary Liddle took the kick and his shot whistled just over the Hull goal.

After just a single minute of injury time the referee brought the first half to a close.

Half Time: Hull City 0 Hartlepool United 0

The second half started with no changes to either side. The early play was fairly scrappy from both sides. Pools looked happy to keep it tight at the back and hope for a break away goal, the home side seemed to be struggling without the hold up play of Jon Parkin.

On 53 minutes Mark Yeates had a great chance after catching Ben Clark in position, but Yeates thrashed a shot straight at Konstantopoulos when unmarked players in support looked the better option.

Hull made the first change of the game as winger Ryan France made way for Jon Parkin. Three chances in the space of 60 seconds saw the game come to life on the hour mark, Jon Daly had a chance to give Pools the lead but his shot was lacking power and didn’t trouble Myhill.

With 28 minutes of the second half gone Hull made a double change as Stuart Elliott and Darryll Duffy replaced Nick Barmby and Mark Yeates. Substitute Duffy took just two minutes to get a change to opening the scoring, but he headed an inswinging cross wide of the Pools goal as Hull started to dominate the second half.

In the 82nd minute Konstantopoulos made a mistake when he tried to claim a cross, Jon Parkin tried to place the ball over the line but Konstantopoulos managed to put the ball over the line for a corner. From the set piece again Konstantopoulos struggled to clear the ball and the loose ball was hacked clear when a Hull goal looked certain.

Danny Wilson made his first change of the game as Joel Porter was replaced with David Foley with just four minutes left on the clock. In the final minute of normal time Konstantopoulos did well to block an effort at the back post. Wilson made a second change as Tony Sweeney was replaced by Lee Bullock.

Into injury time and the referee blew for a foul by Michael Nelson, Andy Dawson drove the ball into the Pools well and Hull won a last gasp corner kick, thankfully Gary Liddle was on hand to head the set piece clear.

Full Time: Hull City 0 Hartlepool United 0

Into extra time and David Foley looked to be clear after beating two defenders but he ran out of space at Myhill collected the ball. Dean Marney tried his luck 6 minutes into the additional time, however Konstantopoulos managed to beat the ball away. The first period of extra time ended with neither side able to grab a goal.

Early in the second period of extra time Danny Wilson made his third and final change as Matty Robson was replaced by James Brown, a sign of intent by Wilson or preparation for spot kicks? Pools changed formation to 3-5-2 to accomodate Brown’s introduction. David Foley forced Myhill into a save 7 minutes into the second period after a neat turn left his marker standing.

Pools won a free kick with just three minutes left, both Michael Nelson and Ben Clark went up for the set piece, but neither player could get a connection on John Brackstone’s delivery. Duffy met a free kick with just two minutes left but his header was weak and easily collected by Konstantopoulos. The fourth official signalled for two minutes in injury time at the end of the second period of extra time. Pools won a left wing corner with just seconds of the game remaining after more good work from substitute David Foley. Alistar Gibb swung in the corner, the ball came out of the area but Gary Liddle was fouled and Pools were awarded a free kick. The delivery went into the box but nothing came of it.

So the game went to a penalty shoot out, click here for the full run down of how the shoot out went.

Hull City:
B Myhill, S Ricketts, M Turner, S Collins, A Dawson, R France (61 J Parkin), J Welsh, D Marney, M Yeates (73 S Elliott), N Barmby (73 D Duffy), C Fagan

Substitutes not used
M Duke, A Thelwell

Hartlepool United:
D Konstantopoulos, D Williams, M Nelson, B Clark, J Brackstone, A Gibb, A Sweeney (L Bullock 89), G Liddle, M Robson (J Brown 109), J Porter (85 D Foley), J Daly

Substitutes not used
J Provett, M Barron

Referee: P Merlin
Attendance: 6392